Travelling from home is certainly possible thanks to social media but also your kitchen! Yes indeed! If you haven’t read it yet, we have posted a recipe from Mauritius for you to discover flavours of the Indian ocean. This time around, we are transporting you to Seychelles.
Our friends at Constance Hotels & Resorts sent us a new recipe by Gilbert Negro, the French Executive Chef at Constance Ephelia! He enjoys mixing culinary traditions with his brigade of different nationalities. Today, he has decided to revisit the classic “Avocado with shrimp” creating a hot and spicy version: “Roast shrimp, avocado tartare with orange”. To be relished with your eyes closed, imagining your feet in the sand and looking at the sea! The hotel’s sommelier suggests that you accompany this dish with a small glass of champagne.
Travel to Seychelles, from home: Roast shrimp, avocado tartare with orange
This recipe contains everything you need that serves 4!
Shrimp and marinade:
- 12 shrimp (size 16/20)
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 10 g ginger
- 2 lemons
- 1 bunch of coriander
- Shell the shrimp, retaining the end of the tail. Keep heads for the sauce. Remove the guts.
- Rinse them under a stream of cold water, drain them and put them onto a small plate.
For the marinade:
- Peel and chop the onion and squeeze the cloves of garlic and ginger.
- Add the crushed coriander and the lemon juice.
- Season it all.
- When everything is well mixed, add the shrimp tails
- Marinate it for one hour.
The tartar avocado with orange:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 limes
- 2 oranges
- Peel the avocados and cut them into small cubes.
- Add the lemon juice to prevent oxidation, and then season it.
- Zest the oranges and peel them into segments. Keep the juice.
- Add some zest to the avocado tartar and to the diced segments.
- Mix it all together and set it aside.
The light curry sauce:
- Olive oil: as required
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 celery stalk
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2g curry powder
- 1 tomato
- Orange juice
- Butter: as required
- Brown the shrimp heads with a little olive oil in a small bowl.
- Add the carrot and celery cut into cubes, the crushed garlic, curry powder, and the seeded tomato cut into cubes.
- Mix well and moisten up with water and any remaining orange juice.
- Cook gently for about 20 minutes and pass this broth through a cheesecloth strainer.
- Reduce it by half to spice up the broth and add a knob of butter.
- Mix it, using a small immersion blender, until you get a light mousse.
Finishing and presentation:
Remove the shrimp from the marinade and let them fry on each side with a drizzle of olive oil for 2 minutes. With a stainless steel rectangular cutter, arrange the avocado tartar in the centre of the plate. Lay out the shrimp tails and finish it all off with a curry sauce mousse.
Keep staying positive by reading more ways to Travel From Home on this section of our website!
- Keep dreaming, Travel From Home with our new guides!
- Have you visited Seychelles before? Make sure you read more about this beautiful island in our Seychelles Guide!
- Follow us on Instagram @adventurefaktory to keep looking at beautiful destinations we have been to!